Asus ROG series of gaming laptop are built for extreme gaming performance and productivity. One from the same series is Asus ROG GL552VW DH71, packed with a powerful i7 processor and Geforce GTX 1060 (older models has GTX 960) it delivers ultimate 1080p gaming experience. In this article we’re going to put Asus ROG GL552VW DH71 Review, Specs & Price.
- Laptop Screen is brilliant looking 1080p IPS panel which comes with Anti-Glare coating (avoids reflections).
- ROG red back-lit keyboard is quite tactile and feels good to type on.
- Stays cool during heavy gaming session, comes with different cooling mechanism.
- Easy to upgrade, comes with a cut out at back which gives access to HDD, SSD & RAM slots.
- I/O ports are well placed and all possible ports are included. USB 3.1 Type C port is also included.
- Next generation DDR4 RAM.
- Not so portable as it weights 2.57 kgs due to metallic and bulky body.
- Weak screen frame on the plastic model, try getting the metallic one.
- Track-pad is not aligned properly in every model, looks broken but it isn’t.
- Battery does not last long even on normal browsing and video playback.
- Loaded with lots of Bloat-wares, formatting suggested for full performance.
- Web cam sucks.
Asus ROG GL552VW Price:
This laptop comes with several configuration, but talking about the base model, it is priced around $1000 around the world, exact price depends on retailer. In India it is priced a bit expensive around Rs 85,000.
Asus ROG GL552VW DH71 Review:
- Intel Core i7 6700HQ with Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M is a great duo for playing any game on medium to high settings. Asus has done a great job by configuring it on their motherboard with a different cooling mechanism which surprisingly does not heats up a lot. Well it heats up to a certain temperature (around 80dec Celcius depending on room temp) like other laptops too but remains constant after that which is great. My long Assassin’s Creed Unity sessions of 5-6 hrs are usually totally lag free and no problems with the RAM.
- GL552VW is equipped with DDR4 RAM which runs at whooping 2133 Mhz which is unique in laptops at this price point. DDR4 is the latest standards and only a few companies has adopted it.
- The display, it’s amazing, I usually review the laptops in this price category only and believe me this is the best one I’ve seen so far. Although the frame is loose which can be blamed to the bad hinge engineering by Asus. The display stands fine, the only problem is while it is closed, it lifts a bit automatically when holded upside down. Screen is also covered with Anti Glare coating which denies any reflection, textual content looks clear in the sunshine too.
- The body of this machine is bulky fat but it is made of top notch material which certainly gives nice and smooth feel all around. Plastic version and Metallic version differs only from the lid material except inside and bottom are same. Metallic version is more premium looking and sturdy then the plastic one.
- Keyboard is tactile and nice to type on or game on. It has that mechanical keyboard feel and sound which is good. But some people might dislike typing on it for longer sessions as it is a bit different from other casual laptop keyboards. The trackpad is not aligned properly, means it is in a slanted position which makes it look broken but I have contacted the retailer and saw other laptop and it’s same on all of them, another bad engineering example by Asus.
- Hard-drive which is 1TB runs on 7200RPM is faster than the normal once and is enough for a normal user but you can always install a SSD in the extra slot. The SSD may help video editors for rendering, gamers for less load times and many other memory related tasks.
- Battery is not that good, it is only 48 Wh which does not last long as you expect from this much bulky laptop. Although it charges fast and the battery bar is removable which is kinda old school. Talking about old school stuff, Asus ROG GL552VW DH71 review unit also had optical drive reader.
- The webcam sucks, it takes shabby images and videos are always horrible. It is a bit decent in lots of light but dies in low light. Microphone is good and records audible sound from normal distances.
Asus ROG GL552VW Specs:
This laptop comes with several configuration, some models even comes with pre installed SSD, but we have only stated the two common ones in the specification.
|CPU||2.6-GHz Intel Core i7 6700 HQ CPU|
|Operating System||Windows 10 Home|
|Hard Drive Size||1 TB|
|Hard Drive Speed||7,200rpm|
|Hard Drive Type||HDD|
|SSD Slot M2.0||empty slot|
|Optical Drive||DVD+/-RW DL|
|Graphics Card||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M / 1060M|
|Wi-Fi Model||Integrated 802.11ac|
|Touchpad Size||4.1 x 2.75-inches|
|1x USB 2.0 + 2x USB 3.0 + 1x USB 3.1|
|Headphone Jack + Mic Jack|
|Card Slots||SD memory reader|
|Size||15.1 x 10.1 x 1.3 inches|
This is a pretty solid laptop with few cons and some bad engineering defects, if you are a casual – hardcore gamer and want little portability with your setup then this laptop is a good choice. It’s not too expensive and have some pretty dope features which makes it a great deal. This laptop is a great choice for college boys living in hostels who can have fun at night playing games and can carry this machine to classroom for studies, plus showoff :p.