People may take an interest in various subjects and they may take different career paths. Yet, English writing skills are something that will always come in handy to them. The ability to express one’s thoughts in a clear and concise manner is the asset that one can always use. This article will describe the major English writing skills and explain how a person can develop them. This information can be particularly useful for students who want to improve the quality of their papers.
English Writing Skills: The Key Areas One Should Pay Attention To
Even a person, who can speak English fluently, may have difficulties with academic writing. This is why people should focus on the following issues:
- Ability to construct good paragraphs. Remember that a paragraph has to express a clear and identifiable idea. It should consist of the topic, supporting, and concluding sentences that can be easily distinguished from one another.
- Making a proper word choice is also an important English writing skill. In some cases, a too colloquial or too formal word can spoil an impression produced by your paper. The knowledge of collocation is also important for a good writer.
- Argumentation is another aspect of writing that one cannot disregard. Thus, when you are making a statement, you should make sure that your examples and arguments are relevant, valid, and convincing.
- Moreover, the knowledge of punctuation, grammar, and style is essential for good academic or fiction writing.
- Finally, the ability to attract the reader’s attention is also critical for a person who wants to write good papers.
English Writing Skills: How a Student Can Develop Them
In order to develop great skills in English writing, a person may take various approaches. These approaches have to address both theoretical and practical aspects of writing. This is how you can learn English writing skills:
- First, you need to read as much as possible. For instance, you may read scholarly articles, essays, written by famous journalists, short stories, and so forth. In particular, you should pay attention to the argumentative strategies of different authors, their word choices, and style.
- Furthermore, you should never hesitate to use various grammar books or collocation dictionaries; they can be great sources of information.
- Thirdly, you should learn about the structure of paragraphs. This knowledge will be helpful when you will be writing argumentative papers or research papers.
- Finally, you learn more about rhetorical strategies, the use of different arguments, and ways of substantiating one’s opinion. This knowledge will make your papers more convincing.
Yet, you should keep in mind that practice is the key to acquiring English writing skills. Every writer working in the professional academic writing services knows that without practice, the knowledge of grammar or punctuation rules will be of very small use to you. Thus, every assignment your teachers give to you is a great chance to improve your skills in writing. This is the main idea that you should keep in mind.